As part of Amgen's mission to further the advancement of medicine and healthcare, Amgen supports Independent Medical Education ("IME") provided by accredited organizations.
Areas of interest to Amgen include, but are not limited to:
- Biomedical Data Sciences
- Bone Oncology
- Center for Observational Research
- Clinical Immunology and Molecular Sciences
- Comparative Biology and Safety Sciences
- Discovery Research
- General Medicine
- Inflammation: Dermatology
- Inflammation: Rheumatology
- Metabolic Bone
- Pharmacokinetics and Drug Metabolism
- Product and Process Development
Requests will be considered and supported for a variety of accredited educational opportunities, such as live presentations, written enduring materials, online courses, and conference symposia.
IME is professional education given by accredited medical education providers who design and implement programs totally independent of any Amgen influence, as defined by standards such as the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education ("ACCME") guidelines, the FDA's Guidance: Industry Supported Scientific and Educational Activities, and the PhRMA Code.
If the organization requesting IME funding support from Amgen is based outside of the US AND the program is conducted outside of the US, please direct your inquiries to Amgen's International Headquarters in Switzerland at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other requests for IME funding must meet the Eligibility Criteria before an online form for IME funding is completed.
Amgen's support for IME programs that meet the Eligibility Criteria is compliant with federal and state laws, as well as guidelines that govern such activities. Amgen commercial staff, including field staff, is not involved in decisions to fund IME programs. For more information regarding Amgen's interactions with healthcare professionals and other customers, click here.
Responsibility and control over the selection, content, faculty, educational methods, materials, and venue for an independent medical education event belongs solely to the organizers of the event in accordance with the accredited provider's guidelines. Amgen will not provide any advice or guidance to the accredited independent medical education provider (even if asked) regarding the content or faculty for any program that has received funding.
It is important to note:
- IME funding decisions will not take into account the current or potential customer status of the IME requestor
- Financial support will not be provided for the costs of travel, lodging, or other personal expenses of non-faculty healthcare professionals attending IME, either directly to the individuals participating in the event or indirectly to the event's provider. Funding cannot compensate for the time spent by non-faculty healthcare professionals participating in the IME event.
Amgen is dedicated to making the application process simple and straightforward. Amgen will send an email confirmation upon receipt of your application and documentation.
IME Application Requirements
Amgen's IME funding application process includes:
- Completion of an online application; and
- Attachment of required documents (in pdf format) to the application.
- Please ensure the application is submitted to Amgen within 30 days of entering the information. Applications that are saved but not submitted within 30 days will be deleted.
- Please complete the application process at least 60 days prior to the date of the IME program. Requests submitted less than 60 days prior to the date of the IME program will be reviewed at Amgen's discretion and a funding decision may not be made in time for the proposed program.
Certain accrediting bodies require that a final IME funding agreement, signed by both the requesting IME provider and Amgen, be completed prior to the commencement of the IME program. Under these rules, Amgen may be unable to fund an IME request if all required documentation is not received and the final funding agreements are not signed in a timely manner. We encourage you to adhere to the timelines for your submission to avoid receiving a denial of your request for this reason.
Explanation of Required Supplemental Documents for IME Funding Consideration
In order to ensure the funding request is processed in a timely manner, all required items listed below must be included in your application.
- Detailed Program Description
- Signed and dated Letter of Request (LOR) on requesting organization letterhead
- Program title, date(s), and location(s)
- Description of the proposed activity (program MUST be accredited)
- Agenda (draft acceptable)
- Educational objectives of the proposed activity
- Needs assessment that explains the unmet educational need and how the proposed activity will address the unmet need
- Identification of the target audience and projected number of attendees
- Name of accrediting body and accredited provider, including type and number of medical education credits offered for the proposed activity
- If applicable, identification of co-requesting organization(s), medical education partner(s), and/or logistical partner (include name and address).
- Detailed funding description
- Amount requested from Amgen
- Itemized budget
- Statement if less than requested amount will be accepted
- Statement regarding whether this activity is to be supported solely by Amgen or by multiple sources
- Institution Payee Information
- Completed and signed W-9 for payee
For funding requests approved by Amgen, the IME funding recipient is required to confirm the completion of the activity and provide documentation of how the funds were used within 60 days after the completion of the independent medical education activity. Documentation should be sent to HCCPaymentRequests@amgen.com for reconciliation.