Case Study: A Smaller Environmental Footprint for Neulasta® Onpro® Kit. Read more...
Amgen is a multifaceted business operating in a complex global environment. As we assure compliance with applicable regulations, we diligently seek to reduce waste and increase recycling to reduce our environmental footprint. We strive for waste reduction as the most sustainable way to manage our business and minimize disposal to landfills.
Two of our sites have achieved zero-waste-to-landfill status with a strategy that includes incineration for energy recovery technology. Some of the waste-reduction practices and projects we implement to drive waste reduction and recycling deeper into our business include:
- Sending plastics from manufacturing waste that are hard to recycle conventionally to special facilities that can process them for use as new products.
- Donating equipment that is used but still useful and spare lab consumables for use by students at schools, education programs, and universities, including the Amgen Biotech Experience.
- Reusing equipment within the company using an inventory database system that matches staff with equipment they need.
- Composting of food waste, paper towels, and landscaping waste where available in the various municipalities where Amgen operates.
- Using recycled content in packaging and marketing materials.
- Assessing packaging for opportunities to reduce waste.
- Managing chemicals more efficiently to reduce waste
- Providing a waste-to-energy-recovery program for materials associated with our combination products, ensuring that disposal of these products is managed in a safe and environmentally sound manner.