Case Study: Small Change Leads to Big Water Savings. Read more...
Drought is a concern at key Amgen facilities, including our world headquarters in Thousand Oaks, California. In 2017, we continued to implement projects identified through an extensive water assessment at this location that have the potential to substantially improve water conservation and provide cost savings.
With their continuous improvement mindset, Amgen staff seek opportunities to use new technologies and approaches to use water more efficiently companywide, such as:
- Installing water-efficient fixtures for restrooms, breakrooms and other facilities.
- Planting drought tolerant landscaping.
- Integrating smart irrigation technology and water-wise irrigation.
- Upgrading equipment and systems in central utilities.
- Increasing efficiency in the generation of purified water for use in manufacturing.
- Recycling water at selected sites. Our facility in Puerto Rico has a water recycling plant on site.
- Pioneering Next-Generation Biomanufacturing technologies and facilities that conserve significant amounts of water.
Most of the water we use—99 percent of it—comes from municipal sources. A much smaller portion—1 percent—comes directly from groundwater. In addition to efforts to reduce the demand for water, as described above, we also work to maximize the amount of water recovered for recycling or reuse, particularly at our facility in Puerto Rico, which features a water treatment and recycling plant that processes wastewater to a standard above potable levels. Overall in 2017, Amgen recycled or reused 608,000 cubic meters of water, representing 26 percent of our total water withdrawal.
Successful water management includes reducing water consumption while also monitoring wastewater discharge. To comply with local wastewater requirements, Amgen facilities operate under agreements that regulate the amounts and types of materials discharged in wastewater. In 2017, The Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority recognized Amgen with a Perfect Compliance Award in the Silver category for perfect compliance with all applicable wastewater regulations over a five-year period.