For more than 40 years, Amgen's commitment to science and innovation has helped patients live longer, healthier lives. We support initiatives to advance health equity so that more people can experience the benefits of science, including providing access to life-saving medicines and care. We use a portfolio of approaches to address challenges to access, working with governments, patient groups, civil society, and other partners.
- $2.2 billion1 of Amgen medicines provided at no cost to uninsured or under-insured patients in the United States through the Amgen Safety Net Foundation2
- $147 million1 of Amgen medicines were provided at no cost to underserved patients in more than 20 low- and middle-income countries since 2018
- $11.7 million in funding contributed to support health equity activities
At Amgen, we are working to attract and retain a wide diversity of people from different backgrounds, cultures, educational experiences, and religions because we believe that a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities fosters innovation, which supports our ability to serve patients and their communities.
- 27 million students and educators reached worldwide through the Amgen Foundation's2 four core science programs
- As part of Amgen's OneTen pledge, announced investments in two new U.S. manufacturing sites – North Carolina and Ohio – expected to create more than 750 jobs drawing from a diverse field of talent
Since 2007, we have successfully advanced our environmental sustainability program while increasing our global production capacity and expanding our presence to approximately 100 countries. Investing in sustainable operations also has the potential to improve efficiency and create value.
- Exceeded goals for carbon, water, and waste reductions, remaining on-track to achieve Amgen's 2027 Environmental Sustainability Plan
- Initiated environmental sustainability impact assessments for all capital funding requests as part of Amgen's capital funding program
- Updated Amgen's sustainability design standard target for the LEED CERTIFICATION (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), the most widely used green building rating system globally, from Silver to Gold.
A Healthy Amgen
Our business is built on an unwavering commitment to integrity and compliance, which is demonstrated by our staff members every day through their words, decisions and actions.
- Zero class 1 or 2 product recalls3
- More than 800 Amgen employees from 34 countries served as cybersecurity advocates, helping prevent cyber threats
- 100% of employees trained on the Code of Conduct
- Launched speak-up culture initiative to raise awareness of Amgen's report handling and investigative process, as well as our non-retaliation policy
- Added an ESG goal to the Company’s goals for our annual incentive plans to focus our entire Company on activities supporting achievement of our 2027 environmental sustainability targets and to strengthen and improve the Company’s diversity, inclusion, and belonging efforts. To further our progress, Amgen has included an ESG goal again for 2022.
1Valued at wholesale acquisition cost.
2Amgen Safety Net Foundation and The Amgen Foundation, Inc. are separate legal entities entirely funded by Amgen.
3Class 1 recall is defined by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a situation in which there is a reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to a violative product will cause serious adverse health consequences or death. A Class 2 recall is defined by the FDA as a situation in which use of or exposure to a violative product may cause temporary or medically reversible adverse health consequences or where the probability of serious adverse health consequences is remote.
We value and welcome feedback about ESG at Amgen.
Please contact us at ESG@amgen.com