Business Ethics and Compliance
Amgen’s Commitment to Business Ethics
We embrace ethics and transparency, from the way we treat our staff and patients, to our emphasis on human rights and equity, to our partnerships with suppliers. We are committed to conducting our business ethically and helping ensure that Amgen complies with the laws and regulations that govern our business and industry in all markets in which we operate.
Our Code of Conduct and Corporate Compliance Policies apply to all Amgen locations, affiliates and subsidiaries. Failure to comply with the Code of Conduct, Amgen policies or applicable laws can result in disciplinary action up to and including termination. Disciplinary action may also be taken when managers ignore misconduct or fail to correct it. In addition, managers provide feedback on employees’ conduct in line with Amgen’s Values – including Be Ethical – in annual employee performance reviews, which determine annual compensation decisions.
Letter from Nancy A. Grygiel, Amgen’s Chief Compliance Officer
As Amgen’s Chief Compliance Officer and leader of our Worldwide Compliance & Business ethics organization, I am humbled and honored to be responsible for helping shape the company’s culture of ethics. At Amgen, we are driven by our mission to serve patients and we are guided by our Values.
We are privileged to be part of a company that develops and delivers medicines to treat seriously ill patients. That privilege comes with great ethical and legal responsibilities. We support our mission by conducting business ethically and ensuring compliance with the laws and regulations that govern our business and industry. Amgen’s leadership, including its Board of Directors, is committed to promoting an ethical culture. We know it’s not just what we do, but how we do it that matters.
There are a number of resources available to help everyone at Amgen do the right thing and act ethically, including: our Code of Conduct – which all staff are required to complete training on annually; compliance websites and additional role-based training courses; our compliance policies; and the Business Conduct Hotline which provides a direct connection to raise concerns, ask questions, or obtain guidance.
I invite you to learn more about our Worldwide Compliance and Ethics program by visiting the links below.
Highlights of Amgen’s Code of Conduct and Corporate Compliance Policies
- Anti-bribery and Anti-corruption: Amgen will not tolerate acts or attempts to improperly influence government personnel or private individuals to secure improper advantage for Amgen’s commercial interests.
- Antitrust and Unfair Competition: Amgen does not tolerate any business transaction or activity that violates the antitrust and competition laws of any country in which the company conducts business.
- Business Conduct, Reporting and Non-Retaliation: Amgen provides an effective process for staff or their representatives to express concerns and report potential violations regarding Amgen business conduct without retaliation or intimidation.
- Conflicts of Interest: Amgen staff are responsible for avoiding situations in which personal interests, outside activities, financial interests or relationships conflict or even appear to conflict with the company’s interests.
- Environment, Health and Safety: Amgen is committed to excellence in environment, health, and safety performance.
- Insider Trading: Amgen’s policy against insider trading applies to all staff members, regardless of their location even if the activities prohibited in the policy are not illegal in the country where they are located, consultants, contract workers and temporary staff, as well as to members of their families and households.
- Interactions with Healthcare Providers: Amgen requires that all interactions with healthcare providers and other customers comply with all applicable laws and adhere to the highest standards of professional ethics and responsibility.
- Non-Discrimination and Harassment-Free Workplace: Amgen does not tolerate unlawful harassment by or toward staff, or with those whom Amgen has a business, service or professional relationship.
- Protection of Personal Information: Amgen is committed to the lawful stewardship of personal information that is collected, stored and used by the company. We respect personal privacy. Everyone in the company has a role to play in protecting and securing personal information. Any concerns related to a potential and/or actual breach of personal information are considered to be serious in nature and are thoroughly investigated.